Skype chat rooms Sbs 2016 dhcp not updating dns

We have a few inherited SBS 2003 boxes, in addition to ones we have deployed ourselves.

One other suggestion that I’ve seen it that you should switch to another terminal window on the server and run some commands that make some work on the server, to make it fill up the default /dev/random.

I think that I would have done this if I would set this up in a corporate environment.

option domain-name "home.lan"; option domain-name-servers lan; default-lease-time 600; max-lease-time 7200; # If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local # network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented. Some people have mentioned that they think that bind messes up these files so that they are impossible to maintain.

authoritative; # Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also # have to hack to complete the redirection). I don’t think that they are that bad and personally I don’t have any problem editing them after that bind has rewritten them.

Membership in the Administrators group, or equivalent, is the minimum required to complete this procedure.

Review details about using the appropriate accounts and group memberships at

It turned out that the machines had multiple DNS A records on the SBS box (accumulated over time when they had changed IP for whatever reason) so RWW was having trouble finding the right IP.

This was solved by editing the properties on server in the DHCP MMC, and checking “Enable DNS dynamic updates…” on the DNS tab, thus having the client machines update the SBS DNS each time they pulled a lease.

Domain Name System (DNS) client computers can use dynamic update to register and dynamically update their resource records with a DNS server whenever changes occur.

This reduces the need for manual administration of zone records, especially for clients that frequently move or change locations and use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) to obtain an IP address. For more information, see Understanding Dynamic Update.

I’ve included the whole contents of my file here and marked the changes that I’ve made in bold.